Phone: 570-837-0046 x2617
Degrees and Certifications:
B.A. University of Pennsylvania, C'96 7-12 Social Studies, Pennsylvania Department of Education
Mrs. Melissa Boonie
- This is my 20th year teaching in public schools.
- I grew up in Juniata County, between Oriental and Seven Stars, and graduated from East Juniata High School in 1992.
- I am currently a graduate student at Wilkes University for M.S. in Educational Instructional Media with STEM certification.
- I served in the U.S. Army at the Pentagon, Fort Jackson (SC) and Fort Benning (GA).
- I graduated from the University of Pennsylvania with a B.A. in Political Science, minor in International Relations.
- I enjoy my family, music, traveling, reading, Netflix, and gardening.
My Home Page
National History Day Region 5 Contest at Lock Haven University
Three senior high Mustangs won gold at National History Day regionals on February 22, 2019. Junior Stephen Siska won first place with his essay Yugoslavia: The Failed Idea of Balkan Union. Sophomore Madi Gahring won first place in webpage design with her project HMS Association Shipwreck: A Catalyst for Navigational Change. Senior Allie Rice won first place with her individual performance of Tragedy and Triumph of PA Logging Industry.
Two eighth grade Mustangs also won gold in the junior division. Sheri-Leigh Dickerson and Deven Bowman placed first in the group exhibit with Japan's Unit 731: Unmasking the Horror.
Students began this journey in September, conducting research on a topic of their choice pertaining to the theme Triumph and Tragedy in History. They met with faculty advisers during club periods, after school, and over holiday breaks. Working in groups or individually, students displayed their findings through an essay, website, performance, or exhibit. At the regional contest, they defended their research orally before a panel of judges. Winners from the regional contest have been invited to advance to the state finals in Carlisle in May.